Monday, December 9, 2013

Home and Heritage

As people and humans, we are influenced by our surroundings. Whether it be the region of the country or world we live in, where our ancestors came from, or our family as a whole. For me, I believe I can say that the person I am has been shaped by all three factors.

Although I could be considered a "southern belle",  and I am so very fond of Texas and The United States of America, I am also very proud of my German heritage. 

I am fortunate enough that both of my Grandmothers have German in them, one being full German, and one being a combination of German and Russian, but mainly German. Both women are such amazing strong women whom I admire and strive to be like some day. 

My Oma, my mothers mom, Anni was perhaps the most amazing person I have ever met in my life. Nobody will ever be like her. She had such a huge collection of talents. My Oma came over from Germany to the United States with nothing but two children, an American husband, and her strength to overcome. She overcame the English language, motherhood, an unfaithful husband, the death of her son, and many more things. My Oma took it upon herself to cook, clean, protect her children, love them, and care for them, without the help of a man. She was such a strong independent, hard working woman. 


A portrait of my Oma, Anni.
       
I see so many of these amazing qualities my Oma had in my own mother, in fact, my mom is the spitting image of her. Both are beautiful, loving, slightly stubborn, loving, nurturing, and selfless women. (Not to mention amazing cooks.) In February of 2013, my Oma passed away, and a unique life was lost, but not completely, because every time I look at my mom, or her two sisters I see I piece of my Oma. I see her in my mothers love, my aunt Heidi's hugs, and my aunt Sandy's laugh. I see her in yellow roses, blue sky's, and silent mornings. Her passing has been hard, and will continue to cause grief for quite sometime, but I have to cherish the memories I had with her and remember she is in a better place smiling down on her family.

My Oma is just one Grandmother I was so graciously blessed with, my other Grandma, DeJuana, who is my Dad's mother is equally talented, beautiful and loving. Being the oldest grandchild on my Dad's side, I think my Grandma and I have a special bond. She gives great advice, and always relates things back to Christ, whether it be a joy or concern. She is so passionate about music and her family, and she is always willing to compromise her happiness for others. God and family are her two priorities and she doesn't let anything get in the way of them. She always makes a point to attend games, performances, and award ceremonies of her grandchildren. She is such a good mother and grandmother I hope that one day I am half of the woman she is. She probably isn't told enough, but she is appreciated so much. Not only by her family, but by her church family, friends, and community. 


A photo of my beautiful Grandma DeJuana and my sweet Grandpa Dave on their wedding day.

I could probably write novels on both of these amazing women, but for now I will attempt to conclude my rant with saying that I am so thankful God has placed these positive, inspiring role models in my life and one day I hope to be like the women who are apart of my heritage. I truly believe that humans are a product of their environment, so hopefully one day I can fill the shoes of my Grandmothers as well as my own mother. 

It's safe to say my heart is in the South, (my Texas ring and my parents Texas themed living room  can serve as evidence), but I believe a piece of it also lies within the German heritage of my grandmothers and their ancestors.