Tuesday, April 29, 2014

A Man Named David

What comes to mind when you hear the name David? Maybe its a brave boy who once killed a giant named Goliath, maybe its the now retired soccer player David Beckham, or perhaps its a comedic talk show host by the name of David Letterman, but for me, when I hear the name David, I think of perhaps the most perfect person in my life-my grandpa.

Although many people around town know my grandfather, nobody quite knows him like I do. Some teenagers may know him as "Mr. C" because he subs at one of the local high schools, others may know him as "Crazy Dave", a man who worked for the school district for 30 years and always has a joke on hand with a friendly smile to match. While my grandpa is a beloved and well respected person, many know him simply from his occupations and positions held within the city, but one thing I have grown to know over my 17 years is he is not just a man of one occupation; but of many.


A photo of my grandfather who has lived in our town since he was born, taken some time during grade school.


Not only does Mr. Dave serve as a father, grandfather, friend, neighbor, substitute, volunteer, Sunday school teacher, teammate and handy man, he also has accumulated many other titles over the years. Need help with a science project? Grandpa instantly becomes a scientist, coming up with only the most innovative way to get an A+. Looking for a creative outlet? My grandpa becomes a tinker with his ability to turn virtually anything into a use able piece of art, aid, or functionality. Had a rough week, well then look no further than my Grandfather, who always has a listening ear like a therapist and a reason for why God does things with a bible verse to prove it.

So many times in my life I find myself in awe of how lucky I am to have this man as my grandfather, to have such a godly man to help guide me through life. All 7 of my grandpa's grand kids are blessed to have a beacon of constant light in this dangerous, corrupt world.

California psychotherapist Elayne Savage was quoted in a 2009 CNN article saying:"When you grow up familiar with a certain type of person, you're attracted to that same type of person because it feels comfortable, whether you like it or not."That's what people mean when they meet a potential partner and say, 'It 'feels like I've known him my whole life.'" It is now a common conception that women tend to marry men who emulate their fathers, their characteristics and perhaps even mannerisms. I am glad this is not the case with my mother, who had a lying, cheating, selfish father who left her and her family at only 9 years old.

In many ways than one I believe that God specifically placed my mom not only my father, who is a perfect representation of a loyal family man, but my dads father Dave as well. By having my grandfather as my mothers father-in-law, I'd to think it restored her faith in men, and changed her negative perception of men when she saw the kind of men she now had in her life.

Not only has my grandpa replaced the father figure (or lack there of) in my mom's life, I think the same can be said for my moms sisters as well; Heidi and Sandy. Not only has my grandpa been a familiar face to greet at birthdays and holidays, he has also been a pillar of strength as they dealt with the loss of their mom, my Oma last February. Not only did my grandpa offer spiritual guidance, he also spoke with such poise and intelligence at her funeral, and I think I can speak for all of us when I say we will forever be grateful to you for keeping our whole family united in a time of such grief and tragedy.

I may sound like I am boasting a bit about how lucky both sides of my family are to have this awesome man to turn to in almost any situation, but in fact none of the recognition should be placed on me. I wrote this particular blog entry in the hopes of my grandpa finally being able to comprehend how much he means to not only myself, parents, sisters, aunts, uncles, but friends, but fellow citizens as well.



My handsome grandpa's senior photo. I with men still looked this sharp. Its a shame they don't look this way anymore, hairstyle and all.

Life without having my grandpa only about 4 miles away will be so much tougher next year while I am away at college in Iowa, but my wish is to have him always know how much he is truly cherished in multiple lives. Just the other day, grandpa reminded of me a Bible verse when I asked him will I ever stop feeling so sad everyday at the thought of the loss of my Oma, and his response was "things start to take precedent as our lives get busier everyday, and its not that we mean to forget those we loved and lost, or the memories associated with them, but other things take priority, like children, jobs, and bills, but Philippians 1:3 says: "I thank my God every time I remember you," and the memories come back to us." I found this conversation not only helpful and enlightening, but ironic as well, because I think that bible verse describes my grandfather Dave perfectly, because every time I hear the name David, I think of one of the greatest blessings in my life-my grandpa.