Sunday, June 22, 2014

10 Tips for Surviving High School

Now that I've walked across the stage, tossed my cap at graduation, and began the process of "spreading my wings", (to not only become an AIB Eagle, but college student as well), I've had some time to reflect on my time during high school. Time to think about the good, the trying, the frustrating, and what I could have done better or worked harder at. Now that I have crossed one of the many milestones in life, I came up with the idea of compiling a list of tips to help incoming freshman-or high school students at any age survive the busy, stressful, sometimes childish years of public education we are all required to complete; in the hopes of my experiences helping others, young girls, or those who fear they may never make it across the stage in your ridiculous hat that doesn't seem to fit right. So, here it goes: 10 Tips for Surviving High School.

1-Be You, and You'll Be "Cool"

False identities are a no go, because of the simple fact that people always see right through them. Don't try and pretend you know the words to the latest rap single when you've grown up on strictly country music, and don't pretend you "get wasted" every weekend when in reality you don't even know where the alcohol is located at the grocery store; because one: you'll look dumb when people realize you're a poser, and two: there are so many different "cliques", organizations, and people in high school that you can always find others who will accept you for who you are, not who you pretend to be.

2-Remember that "You Never Get a Second Chance to Make a First Impression"

I've heard this quote a multitude of times from my Dad, and I must say he is completely correct. As sad is it is, humans are very judgmental people, and it is said that opinions are formed within the first 15 seconds of meeting people. 15 seconds! That may not even be enough time to read this sentence, so if you think wearing that super tight fitting shirt you got on sale, or having that monstrous piece of metal protruding from your face is a good idea on the first day of school, you may want to reevaluate that-because first impressions are everything, and less really is more.

3-Become Best Friends With Your Counselor 

High school counselor's are heaven sent people that should really be paid more for everything they do, (along with teachers). As soon as you know who your counselor is, friend them and build a relationship with him or her so that when it comes time to begin your college search and preparation you have a great resource willing to help you with class ranks, transcripts, recommendation letters, schedule changes, and all those other stressful things; and if you're as lucky as I was, you'll leave high school with a hug before you walk across the stage at graduation, and a friend who was once your counselor.

4-Don't Let Social Media Presence Alter People's Opinion of You 

I can't tell you the number of times I've seen photos on various outlets of social media exposing someone for the person I didn't believe them to be. I think I can speak for everyone when I say that the sweaty forehead and glazed over look in your eyes isn't the cutest, and the reflection from the flash of the camera that just so happened to highlight the Bud Light bottle you may or may not have been trying to hide at your side exposes you for the person you tried so hard to make people believe you are not. It never fails: "She parties? I thought she was a good girl", "He's with her? Probably just for sex", "She wears shorts like that so she's probably a hoe", "I didn't know he cussed, I thought he went to church". Please, please, please think twice before dropping an F bomb in a post, tweeting a photo with the beer emoji by it, or anything else you wouldn't show to your parents, because I promise you, parents do see it. I know plenty of friends whose parents occasionally scroll through Instagram feeds or teens who show their parents a raunchy tweet. So if you wouldn't show it to your mom, don't show it to the rest of the world.



Photos such as these that are posted on the internet can never be taken back, and are some of the first things employers, coaches, and professors take notice of. 



5-Realize That Its Okay to Be 'That Girl" 

One of the best feelings I ever felt is sitting at lunch surrounded by a group full of boys and have them say "We can't say anything bad about you because you don't do anything", while that could have been a stab at my social life, I smiled at the fact that no raunchy stories of who I slept with or what parties I got sloppy drunk at were divulged-because of the simple fact that the amount of times I have partaken in either of the two activities were zero. Not only have I stayed true to the notion of waiting until marriage, I've found that the majority of guys and girls respect me and my decision, as well as the choice to not go to parties, because of all the bad scenarios that can happen. So believe me when I say its okay to be "that girl", or guy perhaps that stays true to their morals and would rather watch the Ranger game then partaking in illegal activities. People will respect you, and you can find people with the same values as you who will gladly take ice cream over a Lime-a-Rita on a Friday night.

6-AP is the Way to Be

Starting your freshman year, take as many Pre-AP and AP classes as you can, because they will pay off with out you even knowing. Not only do Pre-AP and AP classes boost your GPA with a weighted credit, and look good on college applications, they create a better learning environment with students who actually want to learn and excel while teaching teens the basic skills of time management, discipline, and rigorous work ethic. In my high school career I took 5 AP classes and 4 Pre AP classes, which in all actuality is not a lot but I was involved with three very time consuming extra curricular activities-Volleyball, Newspaper, and Yearbook. My advice is to not take more than 2 AP classes a year if you are heavily involved in other activities, because they can be very stressf

7-Get Involved 

Not only does being a presence in organizations such as Student Council, Newspaper, NHS, Academic Decathlon, and other leadership and community involvement groups look good on college applications, they broaden your friendship circles, and challenge you. From my experiences in holding leadership roles on both my high school Newspaper and Yearbook, I can say that being in those positions helped me be a better listener, strategist, thinker, leader, and coworker-all traits you will be using in the real world when the time comes to get a job. Getting involved in clubs and organizations creates friends and further creates and builds upon new and existing traits.

8- Study for The SAT (AKA That Stupid, Annoying, Test)

Yes, you really do have to take this dreadful test, and its usually more than once. Taking the SAT at least twice, and possibly the ACT once is essential to college acceptance and scholarship opportunities. I would recommend taking your first SAT in February/March of your junior year and your second no later than October of your senior year, if not sooner, so you're not overwhelmed with college duties and senior activities, and can begin college applications as soon as possible.

9-Don't Worry If You're Dateless

Through the course of high school you will find the school, (mainly the girls) in a frenzy around the time of homecoming, football banquet, prom, and the military ball; along with other events-all in dire need of a date. While having a beautiful mum, and a nice looking boy to take photos with in an over priced gown is nice, the fun that comes along with these events are not dependent on a date, they're dependent on what you make of them. Even though I wouldn't trade my prom and homecoming memories and experiences for anything, I know that I could have had the same amount of fun with or without a boy by my side, and in fact, many girls do. So don't be down if you're dateless, own it, and steal the show.

10-Pass The Test

Not only do I literally mean pass the test, (SAT, EOC, ACT, AP, and whatever other forms of torture you may be forced to partake in), I  also metaphorically mean pass the test. Pass the test of high school. Since my freshman year, my dad use to always tell me: "High school is just one big test, one big test to see if you can make it through." Make it through without getting pregnant, arrested, suspended, kicked off a team, and with a plan for the next step in your life. The key to high school is to avoid all distractions-parties, boyfriends, drugs, girlfriends, ect. Stay disciplined, set a standard for teens everywhere, prove somebody wrong, and enjoy 4 years of bliss and little to no responsibility.


Graduating high school is only the beginning of your life as an adult, the ending of one chapter, and the beginning of another. So make the most of your 4 years in high school.