Saturday, December 28, 2013

Reflection and Rebuilding

Tacky Christmas sweaters, garland, and crazy sales are traded for glitter, streamers, and the hope of a realistic resolution as Christmas comes to a close and the New Year returns once again; but before making a promise to yourself you most likely won't keep, perhaps a look on the last twelve months will leave you feeling better about yourself than you imagined.

Whether your recollection of the last year makes you feel A) proud of all the accomplishments you achieved, or B) proud of all the horrible things you some how made it through, at least you have something to feel good about. 

I have always loved New Years. It's an excuse to be surrounded by good friends and good food, and it is also the opportunity at second chances, whether it be friendships, faith, or personal fitness. 

I think that in all my 17 years of life, (which yes, I know that's not a lot); I have never been more eager to begin anew and immerse myself in change. 2013 was a tough, trying year on my family and I filled with lots of endings, change, and growth. This past year many things have come to a close, such as my last high school volleyball season, friendships, and even the life of my beloved Oma. Perhaps it was the curse of the "unlucky 13" or maybe it was just how God's plan seemed to work, but this past year has been a lot for both my family and I.



A photo of the 2013-2014 Varsity Volleyball team, composed of myself and 10 other Seniors, one of the largest group of Seniors our school has ever seen. 


As I look back on 2013, I can recall sadness at the passing of my Oma, frustration at wishing I could help my mother during the loss of her mother, grief from damaging both my father and I's beloved truck Jesse, desolation due to putting too much burden and stress on my parents, and sadness at the realization of never playing another volleyball game as a Warrior; but through these times I also found glimpses of happiness; such as winning my Senior year homecoming volleyball match against Midlothian, watching my sisters grow into beautiful, talented young girls, and having a Christmas Eve where I got too see nearly all of my family in one day.

In my opinion, I think New Year's is something bigger than what people deem it to be. You have the opportunity to change lives, whether it be your own, or a random strangers. You have the opportunity to follow through on your promise to yourself, or perhaps even your promise to those you love. We as humans get the chance to begin again, become better co workers, students, or followers of Christ. 

I've never really been a big participant in New Years Resolutions, one because I know that 9 out of 10 times they won't last; and two, I would rather participate in something such as the season of Lent, where you give up something you love to honor the sacrifice Jesus made for us when he died for our sins. I would recommend that instead of making a resolution to "go to church" or "eat healthier", you look back on all that you have experienced in the past year, and applaud yourself on either your trials and tribulations, or your achievements; and build off of those moments and experiences in the next year. Whether it be reaching out to your family, going the extra mile in work or school, or being more diligent in your faith, small things can go a long way, and in the end will probably make you feel better about yourself while you're scarfing down that Whataburger.

I know that nobody has perfect year's, much less perfect day's, but I for one can say I eagerly await 2014. Not only does 2014 await my graduation, and my admittance in to the college of my choice, it awaits opportunity, change, and hopefully God's blessings. 2013 taught me a lot, but I'm hoping to learn and grow even more in the next year.