Thursday, August 28, 2014

The Power Of Prayer

What makes you feel better when you're hurting? How do you rid your self of guilt? Where do you turn when you need guidance? For most Christians the answer to all of these questions is simple: Prayer.

Just recently I took the time to really look beyond the methodical form of prayer we so often partake in with the help of a book given to me by my grandfather called The Prayer of Jabez. For as long as I can remember, I have prayed. I prayed with my Dad at night before bed asking to "help those who are poor, to help those who are sick, and watch over those I love," and I prayed to "bless this food to my bodies nourishment" before every meal, but I didn't get out of my comfort zone when praying. It was a routine, but it wasn't a innovative task, I was simply skimming the surface of all the possibilities of prayer.

Prayer is perhaps the sole foundation of Christianity and our faith as followers of Christ, it is how we connect with God, solve problems, and become better disciples; but how do we step up our prayer routine and "break through to the blessed life?" What do we ask for in prayer? How do we know we are asking for the correct things? Well, the answer is simple; we follow the guideline of a simple prayer a boy named Jabez once prayed. 1 Chronicles 4:10 explains the simple, yet powerful requests: "And Jabez called on the God of Israel saying, 'Oh that You would bless me indeed, and enlarge my territory, that Your hand would be with me, and you You would keep me from evil that I may not cause pain!' So God granted him what he requested."

Bruce Wilkinson, author of The Prayer of Jabez says: "[Our] father longs to give you so much more than you may ever have thought to ask for", reminding us of Matthew 7:7 which says: "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you." Wilkinson explains how God has a plan for each and every one of his disciples-people whom they will learn from, and people whom they will help through God. Knowing this, how do we make the steps towards fulfilling the plan God has for us? We pray The Prayer of Jabez which answers every request and keeps us on the path God decided for us long ago.


Prayer is essential in building a relationship with God where he is completely in control of your destiny.


I encourage you to read The Prayer of Jabez, and even if you do not, I ask that you at least pray the Prayer of Jabez which allows us to ask God to: 1) "Bless Us", because "When we seek God's blessing as the ultimate value in life, we are throwing ourselves entirely into the river of His will and power and purposes for all of us, because after all;( God's nature is to bless) 2) "Enlarge Our Territory"-so that we may make a greater impact to do the Lords work and glorify him, but to also touch more lives, and move outside of our boundaries, 3) "Ask That the Lords Hand Be With Us", so that through our dependence on God we may have the courage, power, and confidence to do his work, because "God eagerly seeks those who are sincere and loyal to him," 4) "Request to Be Kept From Evil"; to pray to be kept form temptation, protection from deception, and strength to avoid sin, and finally, 5) "To Not Cause Pain", because if we are causing pain, we are not making strides and becoming a better follower of Christ.

So, whether you purchase The Prayer Of Jabez, or you pray the Prayer of Jabez listed above every night rather than your typical prayer, or you just simply get out of your comfort zone when it comes to prayer, I ask that you always recognize the power that prayer holds-it can heal the broken hearted, grant forgiveness, and plant a multitude of blessings in your life you never even knew were meant for you.