Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Teaching Moments from my Father: The Value of Veterans Day

Recently, I had the opportunity to join the Peer Ministry at my University with the recommendation of a professor that I admire greatly. Prior to obtaining my certification, I sat through several training sessions where I got to know my fellow Peer Ministers better, learned how to help others make decisions through listening, how to make someone feel welcome, and other practical skills with a spiritual influence that I can carry over to both my personal and professional life.

One of my favorite discussions our Peer Minister group had was at the conclusion of our training, when we each shared who had been a witness to us through our faith walk. I immediately volunteered to go first and had no hesitation in saying that both my Dad and my Grandpa had been excellent examples of Christians throughout my life.

For as long as I can remember, my Dad has always been volunteering his time, energy, resources, mobility, and advice-a trait he learned from my Grandfather, and a trait that is so pleasing to God, a trait I wish I did more of. My parents are so good about helping others in need, and doing it without looking for any reward, something I have always admired.

Hebrews 13:16 says: "Do not neglect to do good and share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God." Having a servants heart is just one of the many things I have always admired in my Dad, but as Veterans Day approaches every year, I find myself reflected on (if I had to pick one) my favorite trait my Dad also instilled in me-the gratitude and respect he shows to our Country and those who have defended its freedoms.


Take some time to remember those that served, and continue to serve on Veterans Day.


My Dad is a very special man to me-I am often reminded of him by even the smallest things, but when it comes to Holidays such as Memorial Day, Veterans Day, and even The 4th of July, I go back to a conversation I had with him when I asked: "Dad, why don't you cry? I have never seen you cry, and even mom said you didn't cry when you got married, or when my sisters were born." His response was not what I expected, but something I will always remember. He said: "I don't cry because nothing in my life has been as traumatic as a wife losing her husband to war, parents living their life everyday without their son, or a boy being told he will never see his Daddy again; thats real sadness, and thats reason to cry, our family has been so blessed to have never experienced that, be thankful everyday."

As we spend the month of November being thankful for our blessings, families, and good health, lets also remember to be thankful for our countries Veterans. American writer and producer Sidney Sheldon once said: “My heroes are those who risk their lives every day to protect our world and make it a better place—police, firefighters, and members of our armed forces.” As you go about your day on Veterans Day, and spend the day with your family on Thanksgiving, I ask that you pray for our countries armed forces, and always show gratitude and respect to those who protect us.